Handbag Heaven

Anyone who knows me (even a little bit) knows I’m completely obsessed with all things fashion – however I’ll admit I have a major sweet tooth for shoes and handbags. I’ll walk through department stores and boutiques, shamelessly caressing, fawning and practically drooling over the fine, detailed craftsmanship and absolute decadence of my two favorite fashion accessories. (Sadly, I’m not exaggerating on the caressing part either).

While I currently have a plethora of shoes in my collection, I sadly only have a few quality handbags in my fashion arsenal. I’ve realized the reason behind this is because I’m extremely picky when it comes to handbags – they need to have a few specific characteristics before I select one to join my purse posse.

First and foremost, the handbag needs to be oversized and large enough to actually hold stuff. While I definitely enjoy a nice clutch every now and then, nothing drives me nuts more than those tiny coin purses that try to pass themselves off as handbags. A great bag also needs to be extremely versatile and one that can be worn with almost any outfit I put on – from semi-dressy to casual to work attire – MY handbag needs to be able to work with any outfit, for almost any occasion. Lastly, it needs to not only look and feel great, but it should also have a unique element to it – whether its strategically placed zippers, soft, silky leather or one that’s a unique color (like the new handbags Marc Jacobs is featuring this season – muted, washed out ice cream flavor-shades I can’t wait to scoop up).

So all of this explaining actually has a point – I get very excited when I come across a great handbag and I recently learned about Italian designer Leonello Borghi. His new Spring collection is absolutely amazing (and he also manages to succeed in meeting my criteria for a great purse!) In this season’s collection, he uses glossed perforated leathers and bold hardware - elements that help his designs stay fresh but maintain a great, classic style. Since I believe purses are truly a wardrobe investment, it’s important to purchase one that won’t go out of style faster than you can say Von Dutch. I love that Leonello’s bags come in great neutral colors such as black, safari and olive, which are extremely versatile colors that can work with any ensemble.

My favorite bag in his collection is the Stella Shopper – a creamy bone colored bag with perforated leather detailing and smart metal accents. This bag is a true classic, but incorporates such fun details and elements that make it so “now.” I’m also a fan of the Magazine Tote – the unique zipper placement around the bag is what makes this a stand-out item. I love the small details he includes in all of his fab bags, particularly his signature logo on the zipper pulls. Stellar.

Leonello’s incredible bags are only available at Barney’s NY and select stores in Japan and Hong Kong and prices range between $500 - $2,000. A pretty penny – but one very well spent.

Check out his other designs at
www.leonelloborghi.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll take he cream perforated bag and the clutch please. thanks for keeping us in the know.

Anonymous said...

LOVE these bags!!!! my fav is the top one. it would go perfect with this brown dress i have.

Anonymous said...

i've never heard of this designer. he seems amazing. i'll have to do some shopping now. thanks FS

Anonymous said...

you have such an eye for great fashions.

Anonymous said...

i wish there were more places to buy these fabulous bags! i went on their site and there are tons more that are just soo great. i might have to plan a trip to NY. :)

So@24 said...

I see someone has been perusing!

Deanna said...

so@24 you can't believe how happy i am that a male commented on my blog.

you get a gold star for being the first :)