I finally caved


Ever since they made their (re) debut several seasons ago, I've been actively rejecting buying into the notion of skinny jeans (or really, updated tapered jeans). Being on the shorter side, I never thought they'd look flattering on me, and left them to be worn by the freak-of-nature women who are thin, over 5'8 and have legs for days (god, don't you hate them?) Plus, I figured they were a passing trend and would soon be WAAAYYY outta style (Von Dutch anyone?) and that I'd wait it out and thank god I had never worn THOSE. But alas, I caved. I don't know why I did it, but I did. And as of now, there's no turning back.

Now, I know you might be passing judgement, and I don't blame you, but hear me out. They actually CAN work, and look pretty darn chic if I do say so myself. I've always had a dilemma in deciding what to wear on an evening out - one that doesn't require a ballgown or cocktail dress mind you, but a night where you don't feel like rocking your faded jeans and a t-shirt either. I'd always resort to a pair of wide leg jeans and a shirt, but after awhile, I got real sick of that same look night after night. A pair of skinny jeans dresses up your outfit immediately, especially in a dark hue or black washed pair. They are much more versatile than you might think - wear them with a pair of pumps, open toe stilettos, or even flats and you have great options for an amazing outfit. When I wore my first pair out for drinks, I'll admit, I felt a bit weird - they felt super tight compared to my wide leg jeans, but after awhile I got used to wearing something more form-fitting. I'm also a big fan of looser blouses and tops, and loved the way the skinny jeans balanced out my look.

What I also love about skinny jeans is that I can wear them on weekends with a cute pair of flats or Ugg boots and actually look like I'm not running around in sweat pants (which is usually the case). I wear 3 or 4 inch heels all week to work, the last thing I'm about to do is wear a pair to the grocery store and to pick up my dry cleaning. I run into a problem with weekend-wear since most of my jeans are tailored to higher heels -- which is why the sweatpants come in to play more frequently than I'd like to admit.

So, if you've ever been wondering like I have - give 'em a try. Buy a pair that isn't too expensive - I found mine at Nordstrom for $35, that way if you start to think "what was I THINKING?!" there's not too much harm done.

Good luck!
xo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've always been afraid to try skinny jeans, but i admit i do like the way they look. i might just try a pair on this weekend...but shhh, don't tell anyone!

Anonymous said...

i also love my skinny jeans. they look great with a snazzy pair of pumps. you can show off killer shoes!